Why do I need a lawyer for my personal injury case?tue
Insurance companies know an unrepresented person is going to have a hard time setting up a case for litigation, handling discovery requests, depositions, filing a lawsuit, paying for doctors/medical providers to testify or trying a case to a jury.
Having a lawyer early in the case can help in the following way:
- Conducting a thorough investigation with witnesses;
- Creating a barrier between you and the insurance companies which are always looking for ways to diminish the value of your claim;
- Creating a crash reconstruction or laying out the applicable Oregon code dictating rights and duties;
- Reviewing your treatment notes/progress;
- Meeting with your medical providers to see if records need correcting/explaining to match the standards for compensation in Oregon;
- Building up a narrative that takes your facts and builds a legal argument around them to drive up your case value; and
- Having a skilled lawyer advising, managing and taking your case to a jury if needed will also likely build tremendous value to your claim.
You want an experienced trial lawyer on your case. It will help you receive a maximum monetary recovery and the lawyer’s reputation can help resolve the case short of a trial.